If you are in the middle of a college application, the interview is one of the most important parts of the process to consider. It is rare for a college to offer a place based on grades and the application essay alone – placement interviews are used to evaluate how well suited you are to the course and the college itself.
An interview is a chance to show the college what makes you unique and what you could offer to their institution. As one of the leading college placement services in Dubai, we take you through our college interview tips so that you know how to prepare and what to expect on your big day.
The purpose of college placement interviews
If you are called for a college placement interview, the goal is to make it clear to the interviewer why you should be given a place on the course. Your application and test scores will already display your aptitude for the course; however, the interview is designed to assess your attitude and personality.
College admission officers want to understand a student’s aspirations and why they have chosen to apply to their particular college. It is important to show that you will enhance the college through your academic and non-academic strengths, so discuss your interests and extra-curricular activities and how these relate to the clubs and societies within the college.
Before the interview
- It is important to thoroughly research the course you are applying for and the college itself. The more you know about the individual course topics, the facilities, clubs, and societies, the more confident you will be during the interview.
- Think about potential questions and practice your answers, as they will be looking to gain a better understanding of your strengths, abilities, and interests. The following are some common examples:
- Tell us about yourself?
- Why did you apply to this college and this course?
- What is ideal your career path?
- What qualities can you bring to this course?
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- Do you have any weaknesses?
On the day of the interview
- Plan your route to the college, so that you can be ready for the interview in plenty of time.
- Dress smartly and make sure you are well-groomed, first impressions are important.
- Turn your phone off as any potential noises will disturb the interview and create a poor impression.
During the interview
- Greet the interviewer in a confident and friendly way, with a smile, eye contact, and a firm handshake.
- Sit straight in your chair with your hands on your lap and speak in a polite and clear manner.
- Give clear crisp answers and maintain a consistent pace.
- The interviewer will ask various questions, and with your expert knowledge, you will be able to engage in an in-depth conversation that demonstrates how keen you are.
As a leading provider of college placement services in Dubai we offer a variety of training services. To find out more, please contact our team today.